There are two types of searches which are used in websites first is Google Search and Second is Site Search. Site search means site’s own search like ecommerce products, keywords search, hotels search etc. and Google Search means Google Result of your website as per your query.
– It is not compulsory that all users may find the relevant information on your website so, provide a search box to users where they can search relevant information without leaving the website. It can increase your website conversions, load time on site and decrease the bounce rate.
– When user searches using a popup with masking then the user can concentrate only on search. It can boost your conversions if you are applying this technique in site search. Check naukri.com example.
– Mostly site search is a first step of conversion so make your site search visibly distinct to the users.
– Site search in Center location creates more focus in the user’s mind. Flipkart, Amazon, Google and top job search sites use site search in center.
– Generally, people use site search more than once so, auto cursor technique can greatly help here. In the case of auto cursor, users can re-type in search box without using the mouse. It increases user experience as well reduces user’s time. It is a fact that normally users don’t have enough time and they have lots of other options or websites with same products. So, improve user experience and usability. It can help you to increase conversions as well.
– If users search in your site-search but find nothing they will leave your website but, if you give a solid reason as to that why the result is not found then it is possible to make them stay on the website. it then that they will re-type in search box. Give some suggestions, auto correct spelling mistakes, etc.
– Use the place holder (Default text in search box) in light color with example so that the user can quickly understand what would type in the search box.
– The Search box should be placed on left hand side. It creates more visibility and attention on user’s mind. Check example here.
– Place the search field and search button together and don’t give any space in between, check example here.
Make them of same size. Check example in upper section.
– Bullets are more visible and easy to understand for users. Check example here.
– Use Drop down menus with check boxes in case of any multi selection option. Check example here.
– Provide top searches in case of no result can be found and show it in the sidebar. It will be a good idea for a better user experience.
– Auto complete can boost your searches and help your users in finding the exact keyword through the search box.
– Accidentally user can type wrong spelling so, putting an auto spelling mistake suggestion can help those type of users. Check example of Google.
– Make your search simple, use advance search option for extra search filters. Check example here. Don’t mix all functions and filters in the simple search, it can increase the complexity. Most of the users don’t need advance functionalities.
You can track the search keywords and data in Google Analytics and optimize it with the help of this data. You can also check conversions and search terms. Check how to set Search in Google Analytics.
You must optimize your search heading. Do the A/B testing 2-3 times with the search heading. Analyze the A/B testing results in Google Analytics search data whether it has increased or not.